Saturday, May 3

Reflection on unit 5

Unit 5 is basically tells about the audience and what impact does the text brings to the audience. The are four readings in this unit which are ‘Types of exposition’, ‘Metaphor’, ‘Australia methadone madness’ and ‘Out of puff’. The article that we need to approach is ‘Out of puff’.

The part in this topic which I can say quite hard is when we did the reading ‘Types of exposition’. This is because of the terminologies that the writer uses in the text. It requires me twice or more times to read it. For example, in order to understand the analytical and hortatory exposition I read that part again and again. However, eventually I have understand that there many types and also elements in expositions that we need to understand.

When we discuss on the reading ‘Metaphor’, it is also difficult to understand but it is quite interesting for me. For example in the subtopic Metaphor and word meaning, I learned that one single word can produce a lot of meaning. For instance the word ‘gave’ that had been shown in the reading. It was fun yet challenging to interpret the meaning of the same word in different phrase.

Since we have been exposed a lot in doing the portfolio task, I find it quite easier for me to understand the text critically although sometimes I missed to elaborate some points in depth. For example, when we approach the text Out of puff, we don’t really face problems because we have approached a lot of readings before. The article is about the danger of smoking especially on women.

Overall I think I don’t quite have difficulties on understanding this unit because audience and impact is a topic that is quite understandable for me. I hope I can polish my skills in critical thinking more in future.

No comments: