Sunday, May 4

Reflection on unit 7

In this second last unit, we were exposed to producing and evaluating critical writing. The reading that is focused in this unit is ‘Dieting: a waist is a terrible thing to mind’. It is a quite long text which is in 22 pages.

The information in this unit that I find interesting is the title of the text. It did not represent what I have in mind before I read the text. Before I read the text, by looking at the title, I thought that the text is about the importance of dieting. However, it was vice versa. The writer’s stance is negative towards dieting. Dieting is not the way to put down weight. Being slim does not mean that you are healthy. Like what the writer said in page 192, on the subtopic ‘Advice to the overweight’, “achieving fitness is clearly more sensible than fighting fatness”.

I do not find any terminologies that are difficult for me to understand. However, I have a little problem in understanding the tables that are included in the text. Maybe people who are really concern about weight would understand that kind of table better.

I find this article is really interesting to read and also very critical. It can give something to overweight people as well as the lightweight people, that dieting is not the way to keep you to an ideal weight. Being overweight also does not show that one is not healthy or suffers from a lot of illness. Concerning about fitness is better than fatness. The article is a complete set of an article for ‘dieting’. It includes the arguments of the writer, the impacts of dieting, and the writer’s advice to the overweight and so on.

Overall, this unit helps me to evaluate a longer critical writing and also producing a critical writing in the future.

No comments: