Sunday, March 2

Reflection on unit 2

After we have understood what Critical Literacy is, we came to the inner part of Critical Literacy. On unit 2, we learn about perspective. The practice text for this unit is ‘Battling the bullies’ and the other background readings are ‘Language, perspective, ideology’ and ‘Text and Textualities’.

In this unit, I learned to polish my skills more on the ten areas of approaching text, for example in the text ‘Battling the bullies’. In this unit, the information that I found interesting is that visual literacy is not just the pictures that are showed in the text. The way the title is written, the font size and the color of fonts are also visual literacy. Before this in unit 1, I have misunderstood what visual literacy is where I thought that only pictures can be considered as visual literacy.

I still have problems on writing the perspective. This is not what should be happening because we were stressed on the perspective in this unit. Nevertheless, I tried to read the text over and over again to get the point of the perspective and I have found out that I need to find out what stance is taken in the particular text. What does the writer argues about and whether the writer condemns or commends the participants in the text.

When I read ‘Battling the Bullies’ at the first time, I only covered what the writer writes. I get the gist ideas of the issue that have been brought by the writer but the ideas were only the outer layer of the text. When I approach the text using the 10 areas in the portfolio, I have known the inner of the text, which are the ideas that the writer was trying to put in the middle but require us to think. This made perspective as one of the important areas to be the methodology of approaching a text.

To recap, unit 2 was giving me the idea of what I will cover in unit 3 that is on positioning. I am still trying to understand more on how to write the writer’s perspective and to inspect closely the writer’s stance, whether it is negative or positive.

No comments: